1) Recognizing Changes in Education James Suh – Moderator Panelists: Bruce Behn, CPA, David Leasure, Ph.D., Robert D. Reid, Ed.D.
2) ABOUT WGU “WGU is an affordable, online, nonprofit institution that measures the success of its students – most of them working adults – not by credit ïƒ˜ Online, non-profit, accredited (NWCCU/CCNE/NCATE) hours but by demonstrated mastery of a subject. While such programs University Founded in[like WGU’s] aregovernors 1997 by US now the exception, I want them to be the norm.” – Arne Duncan ïƒ˜ Serving US working adults US Secretary of Education —20s to 50s, avg 37 ïƒ˜ Founded in 1997 by 19 Governors ïƒ˜ 61,000+ students and 53,000+ graduates in all 50 states ïƒ˜ Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in high-growth fields:“I’m impressed by the results in places like Western Governors University. Its low-cost online programs rely on competency-based ïƒ˜ Business/Accounting, progression, not class time or credit hours. It uses external ïƒ˜ Education, Serving working adults—20s to 50s proficiency.” assessments to evaluate student –Bill Gates ïƒ˜ Information Technology Why American Colleges Have to Change ïƒ˜ Healthcare 55,000+ Students, 42,000+ Graduates, 1,300+ faculty in all 50 states “WGU gives students the ability to really assemble the complete package, from the subject matter to the specific skills to the certification that gives employers confidence when they’re making a hiring decision.” –Brad Smith General Counsel & Executive VP, Microsoft
3) WGU’s CBE IMPLEMENTATION Student- Centric Rigorous Courseware & Assessments Technology-First ï‚§ ï‚§ ï‚§ ï‚§ Measure learning, not time Faculty supported, self-paced Anytime, anywhere learning Career Focused ï‚§ Designed by experts –MAcc designed with BYU accounting faculty ï‚§ Evidence-centered design of assessment, valid & reliable ï‚§ Secure testing ï‚§ ï‚§ ï‚§ ï‚§ Real-time, big data analytics Integrated eco-system Leverage Market Scale with Quality 2014 National Survey of Student Engagement, WGU significantly higher: ï‚§ Quality of faculty interaction (+20%) ï‚§ Quality of academic support (+23%) ï‚§ Entire educational experience (+16%) ï‚§ Job related knowledge & skills (+13%) 2014 Gallup Poll of employers: ï‚§ WGU grads more likely to be engaged employees—15% higher ï‚§ 92% said WGU graduates exceed expectations ï‚§ 93% of employers rate “soft skills” of WGU graduates as equal or better than other graduates Gallup’s Great Jobs, Great Lives: The 2014 Western Governors University Alumni Report; 2014 NSSE Survey of more than 350,000 students from more than 600 institutions
4) SERVING THE UNDERSERVED WGU’s Accounting Programs student population is comprised primarily of underserved students and they are thriving. Program Size % Underserved First Generation Student Full-Time Employed Average Age Monthly Retention Rate BSAC 3,890 75% 40% 67% 35.9 98.0% MACC 246 65% 36% 72% 36.8 97.4%
5) AACSB International Introduction Robert Reid EVP & Chief Accreditation Officer
6) AACSB’s Mission AACSB International advances quality management education worldwide through accreditation, thought leadership, and valueadded services. 6
7) AACSB International Membership Asia-Pacific 304 Members 79 Accredited 95 In Process The Americas 775 Members 556 Accredited 59 In Process U.S. Only 658 Members 517 Accredited 40 In Process EMEA 352 Members 105 Accredited 79 In Process Distribution of schools as of August 12, 2015.
8) Accreditation Questions • What is accreditation? • Why is it important? • What are the differences between regional and specialized accreditation?
9) Delivering Relevant & High-Quality Management Education Engagement Innovation Impact
10) Organization of Accreditation Standards • Strategic Management & Innovation • Focus on mission, intellectual contributions and financial strategies • Participants • Roles, sufficiency, and support for students, faculty and professional staff • Learning and Teaching • Curricula management and content, interaction, structure, and teaching effectiveness • Academic and Professional Engagement • Student engagement, executive education and faculty qualifications and engagement 10